Mitt Romney’s been caught in a bit of a bind lately. He was caught at a $50,000 a plate fundraiser at the home of hedge fund manager Mark Leder in Boca Raton telling the assembled 1% what he really thinks of the nation. You watch the tape and…enjoy.
UPDATE: The full speech is here.
While you watch him call 47% of the nation everything short of welfare queens, keep these pesky little facts in mind (parenthesis indicate source where you can find full info on fact):
• 11 of the 15 “federal welfare” states, those that get back more than $1.00 for every $1.00 they send to the federal government, are Red States; (U.S. Census Bureau and Congressional Budget Office)
• 9 of the 10 states with the lowest percentages of college graduates are Red States; (The Lumina Foundation for Education)
• 12 of the 15 states with the highest high school drop-out states are Red States; (National Center for Education Statistics), and the 7 states with the highest high school drop-out rates are Red States; (National Education Association)
• The 10 poorest states are Red States; (Deseret News, Fox News)
• The 12 states with the highest rates of credit card debt relative to income are Red States; (Equifax)
• 9 of the 10 states with the highest percentage of sex crime offenders per capita are Red States; (Criminalpages.com)
• 8 of the 10 states with the highest number of internet porn subscribers are Red States; (CNBC)
• 11 of the 15 states with the highest rates of illiteracy are Red States; (National Center for Education Statistics)
• 9 of the 10 states with the highest percentage of citizens without health insurance are Red States; (Gallup Poll)
• 9 of the 10 states with the highest percentage of citizens living in trailers are Red States; (U.S. Census Bureau)
• 9 of the 10 states with the greatest number of persons in criminal custody per 100,000 citizens are Red States; (U.S. Census Bureau)
- According to the IRS, about one-third of those whose income falls below the minimum threshold for paying federal taxes are actually low-income senior citizens who rely exclusively, or almost exclusively, on their monthly benefits check to pay for their rent, food, medical care, utility bills, etc. (IRS, US Census Bureau)
So, the people that are ‘Obama’s people’? Those are his voter block. Deep red states who always conveniently forget that they rely on the blue states to bail them out financially. “Family Values” voters who make up the most porn users and sex offenders. People who scream on message boards for folks to WAKE UP, who can’t properly read. Walking cognitive dissonance.
I suppose then it should come to no surprise that Romney is the king of cognitive dissonance. A man who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth crowing about making his own way; a man who sneers at Nana who doesn’t pay federal taxes any more, but who hides his own tax records and admits he pays less than most school teachers; a man who thinks ‘free enterprise’ is important, but tells a story in the video about going to China for the purpose of buying a factory (where your jobs will be shipped).
And let’s discuss that China story for a moment. Do you see the look of pride as he discusses those sweatshop conditions? Play it back, watch him describe it: 20,000 young girls. 12 girls per room. 120 girls per bathroom. Huge fences with guard towers. He’s excited by that. And do you know why? Because in Romney’s world, that is where “you people” belong. He doesn’t want you to become a millionaire. He sees you, every single on of you reading this, as a potential sweatshop laborer. You’re nothing but a cog in his machine. Enjoy.
Now, to some people it won’t matter. You can show them that under Obama corporate profits and the Dow Jones are at all time highs – you can show how gains have been made in employment every month since October 2009; you can even show them how under Romney their taxes would rise, and they’ll *still* hide their heads in the sand, and vote for Mitt. In stock trading, do you know what those people are called? Canon fodder. They are idiots who intentionally vote against their own interests out of fear.
Because here’s the thing about fear, folks: it requires you to be nothing more than stupid. Every animal in the world survives because of fear. That’s how they stay alive – constant fight or flight. Fear doesn’t require higher cognitive function. It doesn’t require you to use any form of reason, or critical thinking. It simply requires a neuro-chemical reaction. That’s it. Nothing more sophisticated than a dumb animal.
And I know in an election cycle, you get overwhelmed with information, and find it hard to separate fact from lie. Heck, I love following politics, and even I find it difficult. But when a candidate makes it VERY EASY to see his mind, when he tells you the bare truth of his heart, that he doesn’t think about you, that he doesn’t worry about you, and that he doesn’t care about you, and then you still pull the lever for him? Well, it doesn’t take a genius to know sooner or later you will hear the ticking hidden away in his policies (that he as of yet won’t tell you anything about).
Enjoy the show.